Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Impact Effects!

In contrast to AI, coding weapon/impact effects is one of the more rewarding parts of making a game, in my opinion.  It's just awesome to try and perfect all the little details to make shooting as fun as possible.  Pit was the first game where I used any sort of hanging dust effects, and I was very happy with how they turned out.  So I've added a similar system in Swamplands.  And it looks AWESOME.  Firing a full clip into a wall fills the area with grey dust that takes awhile to dissipate.  And I just love how that feels.  I'll also be adding some gunpowder smoke, muzzle flash/sparks, and possibly shell casings.

Sadly, due to the tile-based handling of walls, there will be no destructible environments.  But all the time I'd spend on that can now be put towards other weapon-specific visuals and effects.  Although this is nowhere near a game about shooting things, it's still a game designed by me... and as a result, I want guns to feel as good as possible.

Nope, I don't have any screenshots of this entertaining little effect.  But I will soon.  And, even better, I plan on soon putting up a playable tech/atmosphere demo for people to play around with.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment